Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August CKC Kit "Rebel Summer"

This month's inspiration is a wonderful digi kit from Scrap Orchard in tried & true all-American style.


Now I'm as much a patriot as the next gal but this kit presented me with two huge problems - don't have a lot of product that was reminiscent of it & no photos in my arsenal that seemed compatible either in story or feel! What's a counterfeiter to do?

Then I realized that I always start with the paper. Well, although I wasn't inspired by the color scheme, there was a really nice mix of patterns in this kit! Pattern I got :~)


Gingham, small floral on dark background, hexagon, plaid (this is where I started), REBEL change-up from a grey suede textured paper, small (well...) floral on light background, lined paper, chevron, REBEL change-up from plain color, polka dot, stripe that reads like a corduroy texture to replace the denim, and  woodgrain (hehe)...

Fortunately for these middle-aged eyes a complete listing of all of the other components was provided. I decided to work closely with this list since I was already a rebel with the papers. Although a few items are awol (bicycles & fruit, for example, although I did include some felt), I am not ruling out making some pinwheels from scratch along the way!


If I had room I would love to keep this Configurations tray out all month just as you see it - I think it is inspiring. Some more bits & bobs below. I included b/w copies of the layouts from the inspiration kit page to break them down into sketches. Otherwise stickers, stamps, ribbons, flowers, stitch rub-ons & a yummy butterfly paper (someone mentioned butterflies being summery in their kit presentation & I totally lifted that idea) and I'm calling it good. Still need to choose some alphas, if I can remember where I put them in my newly organized scrapspace!

10 comments:

  1. If being a rebel is wrong...I don't want you to be right, baby! What a perfect way to approach this! I love your woodgrain cross section of the logs and the way you have your embellies displayed in that compartmentalized box is fab. No room on the little wicker table to keep it out? Seems like peeking into a jewelry box to pick out your pretties. Wonderful take and wonderful kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jewelry box analogy is exactly right! Now I have to keep it together :~) Aren't those "logs" the bomb? And perfect for a counterfeit, especially with all the woodgrain out there now.

      Delete
    2. I have to agree with sassyscrappers sentiment - this is amazing - and your embellishment display is stunning!

      Delete
  2. Excellent approach to choosing the paper by discription and making the kit your own. Good tip on turning example LO to B&W to deconstruct them. Will file that idea in the ol' noggin for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure those layouts count, don't you? They really are tough, though, as a few have beautiful photos as the background paper, so I may have to do some larger format photos, maybe sanded to soften the edges? Don't know, but it's got me thinkin'! Thx for looking :~)

      Delete
  3. OH...can you make me one just like it???? LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  4. So soft and pretty! I love your soft take on this kit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great kit, love how you changed up the papers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the florals you've chosen - a bit unexpected and the accessories are fab as well. Looking forward to seeing your pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done a wonderful job of making this kit your own. Great job adding your own spin to it. I see some fantastic embellies in there that I can't wait to see put to use!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know you've been here! Feedback most welcome