Saturday, February 10, 2018

021118 LOAD218 Day 11





One of the great perks of being in the ScrapHappy family - a total blessing in & of itself - is the free pass to all of the Layout A Day LOAD events each year! We are already into the second week of February LOAD. Today's prompt:


Day 11: “Anyone who has spent any time in space will love it for the rest of their lives. 
I achieved my childhood dream in the sky.” – Valentina Tereshkova, first woman in space.

We all scrap our fun vacation and travel photos. 
Today, tell the story of the why behind a meaningful trip, and how it changed your outlook or your life.
OR 
Scrap some vacation photos today and do some doodling on your page.
OR 
Use a map on your layout.
OR 
Use map-like embellishments ie compass rose, grid lines, geo tag, globe, or arrows.

The piece of the prompt that caught my attention was “meaningful trip”, except mine wasn’t a trip exactly but an excursion. My journaling:  

I got so excited when the traveling Titanic exhibit came to town but no one else was interested. Then my sweet church friend Sara posted on Facebook her love of all things Titanic. I got tickets for a special Titanic High Tea on her birthday. We dressed up & thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Actors impersonating a society couple from Philadelphia circulated among the guests.  She admired my pearls & compared them to a rival in her set. 

I frankly had no idea how much the exhibit would touch my heart. The first artifact was a giant porthole. I couldn’t help but think that many faceless people had likely gazed out at the ocean through the same vantage point, not realizing that very soon they were likely going to face eternity…

Each visitor’s ticket provided the identity of an actual Titanic passenger & their personal story. At the end of the exhibit you checked the list of survivors. I lived, but my guest perished…

Putting this page together was a bit of a creative stretch. I had saved the exhibit flyer, my ticket/id card, a doily, and a plastic plate! I didn’t want to do a two-page spread so I got inspired by Alice’s flip-flaps & went a little crazy. The top layer is mounted on a  clear double-wide page protector, creating a 12x12" flip-flap!


You can see below that the plate is dimensional. 
 

Lift the flap & reach the next layer!

Pasted onto the back of the small photo inserted in the page protector is the menu for tea.
I've attached a souvenir postcard to the back of the page protector with washi tape, 
behind the doily & plate, which includes my journaling on the reverse.


Next flap reveals that journaling.
I may look for a quote or something to add in the exposed white areas...


The final flaps allow the back sides of the ephemera to be viewed,
and reveal photos of the tea.

I used a dreadfully old Crate Paper floral as a vintage touch, 
mounted on black cardstock to emphasize the somber aspect of the exhibit.


A truly memorable excursion & surprisingly meaningful exhibit.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. I'm in awe at your dimensional, discovery page! How much fun is this and how creative were you in coming up with all the layers and ways of incorporating all the bits and pieces of your special day! If I ever get back to Halifax, I want to go to the Titanic exhibition there (if my memory serves me right!) Fabulous page Leslie!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know you've been here! Feedback most welcome