Friday, May 1, 2015

050115 CKC May Kit Reveal Blog Hop

And the CKC May kit reveal hop continues...


This time last year we had just returned 
from a trip down South in search of Spring...

Here at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge we usher in Susan as our a wonderful May Guest Designer! Playing along for the last few months she has made dozens of pages & even killed her kits.
Please be sure to give her a warm welcome & play along with us.
YOU could be a future Guest Designer.

This month at Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog everything old is new again!
That's what we are all about - using inspiration to freshen up our tired supplies.

This month, we are going back to our roots - the very first inspiration kit from Jenni Bowlin.
One of our current Master Forgers remembers counterfeiting this kit in January 2011.
Perhaps you do, too!


I have a lot of JB stash but I wasn't feeling this at all after last month's uber-trendy Messy Box.
I then thought I could do the kit with the idea in mind to use it on heritage photos.

I suddenly realized, why am I approaching this differently than any other inspiration?
I did a breakdown of the elements beginning with the papers.

The bold cabbage rose paper reminded me of a gorgeous Heidi Swapp piece that I have.
With that setting the tone of my color scheme I was off to the races!

Let's see what's in the Magic Blue Box this month :-)


But wait a minute! you say... That kit was all warm & earthy! How can you get away with this?
1) It's where the inspiration led me 2) it's quite true to the original and 3) it makes me happy! 
This is a kit that I know I will use, and that IS the point after all.

my papers
 L to R: I have a red (pink), green, alpha, roses + extra = a nod to the rose's polka dot background
Yellow lacy pattern, stripe, allover pattern, bold red pattern. See? I told you!
First row: Teresa Collins Posh "Cameo", Basic Gray Fact, October Afternoon Public Library Dust Jacket B side, Heidi Swapp Sugar Chic Beautiful, unknown.
Second row: Glitz Designs Scarlett "Floral", two more Basic Gray Fact/Fiction plus BG Sweet Threads "Drapery Top".

Here's the full kit. I have staged it as close to the inspiration as possible.


The inspiration kit
I've subbed in some MME doily stamps & a Jenni Bowlin medallion stamp for the black doilies. The Bingo cards have morphed into an assortment of Project Life-style cards that include a Breezy Badge courtesy of our own CKC member Sherrie Breese! The stick pins have become pennants (oops I forgot to include the twine...) 

Although I did have some metal flowers I choose the Paper Studio flowers that are a bit like what is in the add-on kit (which I didn't forge this time.) Some Martha Stewart office supply labels were a close match. 

October Afternoon Daily Flash flair will be more fun for me than the tissue fans, although I may add a forgery of one underneath one of the buttons! I even put the gold Heidi Swapp arrow sticker in to replace the metal photo turn at the bottom.

Here are some closer looks at all the goodies:




Added the Teresa Collins gold metal hearts & some gold transparencies from MME.
I will choose my alphas as I go along.

I subscribe to the Magpie Box, so look for the appearance of some of these goodies.

This may be the first month that I have not done a hands-on forgery!
Reworking this kit to suit me took all of my creative energy :-)

So how did I do this month?


Hope you have as much fun as I did!
Now keep on hopping...

GO HERE NOW: Lisa:  http://lisahausmann.blogspot.ca
Jemma: http://just-jimjams.blogspot.co.uk

 
Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully you adaptation, Leslie. Loving all the roses in your kit, and I will be watching to see the messy pop up here and there. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susanne - who would have thought that the messy would be so fun? Definitely needed some roses this month after our loooong winter :-)

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous Leslie! You put a fresh and modern twist on Jenni's kit; the Heidi Swapp rose paper is really beautiful and definitely set the tone for the rest of your kit. I like how you subbed the pennants for the stickpins and the PL cards for the bingo cards. I'm excited to see this kit in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! So happy you are the Queen Bee over here this month :-D
      I actually have a big stack of the legit Jenni B stash I found (including the exact stick pins!) but it wasn't inspiring me.
      I feel I could have done a whiz bang counterfeit but it might have never left the Magic Blue Box!

      Delete
    2. I actually had a lot of the original kit too but it seemed like cheating to use it! And once I picked the first few papers, there was no turning back.

      Delete
  3. I started with the floral paper, too. I really like seeing how the inspiration played out for you! Great kit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bright variation. You kept the look of the kit with a more trendy feel in my opinion. I thought that your bottom right paper was a terrific substitute for the Basic Grey doilie sheet. Bet your going to have lots of mojo with this kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janine! I wasn't sure until I put it all together that it would relate to the original. Happy to see you here - I hope that means you are doing a kit this month?

      Delete
  5. You did great! No need to always forge closely - it has to work with your stash and your photos. The blue Box contains a great array of yummy stash - have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jemma - I know I will USE this one, so no guilt ;-)

      Delete
  6. I laughed over your kit's title. But really, is it not true in our lives that we are surrounded by old bits (Bowlin's kit) and newer things (messy box) that we recently added to our households? Somewhere in between those two swings of the pendulum, we each can find our personal style and voice.

    Me thinks you must be running low on Breezy Badges?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to give you a laugh! Talk about polar opposites between last month & this, but a really good creative stretch to be had. I am DEFINITELY in need of some Breezy Badges, my friend! ;-)

      Delete
  7. I thought you did a fantastic job on the counterfeit ! Love the idea of the stamp for the black doily too (Just might pull out my stamp set now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Tina, definitely have a rummage through those stamps. I always find the perfect something there to round things out. Will be looking for your kit in the Linky!

      Delete
  8. Love,love,love your colourscheme! There are lots of really yummy items there.Enjoy using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Desperately needed that hit of Spring, I think :-)

      Delete
  9. Me too.. strange that both of us used the cabbage roses as a starting reference! Great kit as always

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love LOVE your paper choices for this month. I think you did an amazing job making this kit your own. I'm embarrassed to admit that I own a few of the sheets of paper in the original kit (Sassafrass Lass). LOL! I included them in my kit which I am still putting together. HMMMM< I also own a few of the sheets of paper in YOUR kit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the way you use the inspiration piece, great kit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it wonderful how we all went in different directions this month but still maintained the spirit of the original kit! I love it and can see how you will be able to use it. I think we approached it in a very similar way - I also started by trying to get the vintage vibe and then changed direction completely! Wonderful job Leslie. This will be so fab when it translates to pages!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know you've been here! Feedback most welcome