Friday, December 13, 2019

121319 Archi-scraps December Challenge


December  Archiscraps - use a zipper
I'm closing out the year with another off the page memory project (apologies for the late post.)

Years ago I purchased a package of Melissa Frances pleated zipper - it was probably at a clearance price or part of a class because it is totally not the kind of thing I use! I thought of it immediately for this challenge but had a terrible time finding it in my stash (of course - insert eye roll here!)

I chose this heritage photo of my Bamma Helen to document for this challenge.


She was a consummate seamstress and a very special lady in my life growing up. I remember sitting at her feet while we rifled through "the rag bag", a cardboard box full of fabric scraps. I still have many of the beautifully crafted clothes she made for my dolls (often created with a matching outfit made for me!)

I began by staining the small shadowbox frame a dark brown shade. I covered the background with 7Gypsies Trousseau paper, a tattered bit of vintage lace, and a tiny tail of Tim Holtz Ruler Ribbon. The photo is accompanied by Bamma's thimble, some stick pins & her paste brooch.


 I adorned the outside of the frame with a brown velvet ribbon threaded onto 2017 Finnabair for Prima Mechanicals 10 rusty metal embellishments & festooned with 2009 Tim Holtz Ideology Type Charms spelling out her name.


And finally the "roses" crafted from the pleated zipper!


This will make a lovely addition to my family heritage gallery wall.



Check out all of the Archi-scraps Design Team submissions for more inspiration!

Merry Christmas!



1 comment:

  1. This is stunning Leslie! Wow wow wow! What a fabulous photo and to have her pins and thimble is so so special. I regret not holding onto my granny's button tin - sad that it's got lost over the years. I am so impressed with this project - it's a long time since I did anything otp like this.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know you've been here! Feedback most welcome